Sunday 13 January 2013

Polymer Clay Millefiori Rose Canes

Caning is my favorite of the polymer clay techniques, I've had some great results from caning and also its the technique I find the easiest to do.


My plan for this year is to cane more, although I have quite a collection of canes already, as you can see

My Millefiori Polymer Cane Stash
My Millefiori Polymer Cane Stash

I guess I should also make plans to use some of the ones I have already, but I want to learn more advanced canes like the shape shifting and kaleidoscope canes,

For now though as Valentines Day is just around the corner I have decided to make some more Millefiori Rose Canes, I have quite a few already in pink, blue and lilac but for Valentines I wanted a vibrant red and burgundy.

I first learnt how to make these canes using this tutorial 3D Rose Cane by Sigal Simovich,I really like this cane as I find the finished result always differ slightly.

Building my millefiori rose cane, polymer clay
Building my millefiori rose cane

And here's my finished cane once filled with translucent clay and reduced, I think with the vibrant red I made the cane with the whiter edges along the outside and with the burgundy I done the reverse with the outer edges darker.

Finished Millefiori Rose Cane made from polymer clay in Vibrant Red
Finished Millefiori Rose Cane made from polymer clay in Vibrant Red
Finished Millefiori Rose Cane made from polymer clay in Burgundy shades
Finished Millefiori Rose Cane made from polymer clay in Burgundy shades
Now its time to start planning what to make with my lovely new canes.

Resources including more rose cane tutorials
  1. 3D Rose Cane Tutorial by Sigal Simovich
  2. Rose Cane by Cristalline
  3. TrueLiegh Rose by Leigh Ross
  4. Rosebud Cane by Tami Shvat

This post is part of Handmade Monday with Handmade Harbour why not pop on over for more crafty goodness.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, they look gorgeous - so detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are stunning!! You are so talented x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one thing I could never properly understand, but your work is so detailed - it's really pretty. I suppose it's similar like candy rocks, when you see writting inside - just a bit of a magic !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top picture looks like a box of sweeties, good enough to eat! I think your rose has come out really well. It looks very intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so pretty, especially the rose. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so clever. They are so pretty I can understand collecting a box full!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these! They remind me of rock. I cannot wait to see what you make with the roses. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! I have only done a few canes so far and you've inspired me to try some more complicated designs. Question- are the canes in the top box all unbaked, waiting for millefiori and the like? So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes all the canes in my box are unbaked and waiting to be sliced :)

      Delete
  9. Perfect for valentines day. They're so pretty.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous! This is the first I've heard of caning - I'm intrigued and would love to have a go. Thank you for the inspiration and congratulations on your stunning rose - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours and details of your roses are just perfect.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I thought my flowers were fiddly but this is ridiculous! Such a beautiful result; great colour choices and a really effective finish! I'm now wondering how I can incorporate this sort of thing into my hats - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've often admired canes and keep thinking of having a go myself, maybe this is the year. Your Roses are wonderful, I particularly like the maroon one.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. No idea what canes are or how you use them, but i love the roses. And the other persons bead you showed is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's wonderful how much detail can be create in these canes. I love the burgundy roses.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments and views on my work, thank you