Sunday 29 July 2012

Mica Shift with Polymer Clay

I initially first tried mica shift in my early claying years with little success and on the few occasions I have revisited using mica clay, I have still had little success with what would appear to be a relatively simple technique.

So my first blog post on Mica Clay will be about testing out three differnent brands to see if there is a difference in its mica effect, the chatoyancy.

Polymer Clay Mica from left : Premo Sculpey, Fimo Effects & Kato Polycaly
Polymer Clay Mica from left : Premo Sculpey, Fimo Effects & Kato Polycaly



I will be using the following brands

  • Premo Sculpey in Copper
  • Fimo Effects in Gold
  • Kato Polyclay in Copper



I will testing the clays, using the rubber stamping technique, which many clayers will be familar with and can be found in many ploymer clay books and onine tutorials.


Mica Clay impress with a deep stamp
Mica Clay impress with a deep stamp

Once my clay is conditioned and rolled through the pasta machine I use a deep stamp to impress my stamp onto the clay 


Each peice of impressed clay is then taken and I carefully slice away the raised part of the impression on the clay, which will leave an imprinted image onto the clay that appears raised, but is in fact smooth.  Below you can see how each brand faired

Mica Shift Fimo Effects Gold
Mica Shift Fimo Effects Gold


Fimo Effect Gold

The image is quite clearly visible.
















Mica Shift Premo Sculpey Copper


Premo Sculpey Copper

Not a big fan of Premo as a brand but as you can see the image again is clearly visible.















  

Kato Polyclay Copper

As you can see the image is not as clearly visible here.














Now the impressed images don't look all that impressive in my opinion, so I cut some pendants out and cooked the pieces, i then sanded with 600, 1200 & 2000 and buffed with my hobby tool.  The difference once properly prepared and finished is clear and far more impressive.


Mica Shift Round Pendants - Fimo Effects & Kato Polyclay
Mica Shift Round Pendants - Premo & Kato Polyclay

Here you can see that although not as clear as the Fimo and Premo, the Kato Polyclay once finished looks a little better once complete.


Mica Shift Pendants Fimo Effects
Mica Shift Pendants Fimo Effects

Mica Shift Pendant with Premo, Fimo and Kato Polyclay
Mica Shift Pendant with Premo, Fimo and Kato Polyclay

So overall for future projects I would definitely be using the Fimo Effects or Premo Sculpey, although not a fan of Sculpey for its smell and being to soft for caning, in this case i found its softness aided in removing the slices of impressed clay.


This post is part of Handmade Monday with Handmade Harbour

14 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of doing this, how fascinating! A lovely result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting - I never worked with polymer clay, but I like the different patterns you created on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love experiments and it's really good to see other people's - thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gold pendants. Really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing finished article and I love the way you've showcased the test process and explained how to achieve the effect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from a new follower. Thanks for sharing how to do this. I'm only just starting out trying a few things with polymer clay. I've never seen a tutorial for anything like this before. One to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really interesting to see how the same sort of material can turn out differently! I love the final result - the patterns are subtle but clear. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, interesting blog post thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know this could be done with polymer clay. I love the results, especiallly the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those came out really pretty. I have not done much with clay, I'm not very good at it, but I may have to play with this in the future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I can't believe how effective these are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a Kato fan. If you don't use dark red clay, your results may be very different. Try gold. I recently made a very pretty tin covered with mint green mica shift. Mix Kato pearl with a little bit of color. Beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.

    Kato Rubber Stamp

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments and views on my work, thank you